Saturday 2 April 2011

The film I always go back to: 10 Things I Hate About You. (Beda #2)

This post is part of Kid In The Front Row's Blogathon. Read all about it here!

This one was easy. A no-brainer. So easy that it might be really obvious and boring so apologies in advance if that's the case.


10 Things I Hate About You is the film I have seen more times than any other.  If I'm sad, it cheers me up. If I'm happier, it makes me happier. If I find myself staring at my DVD collection and feel uninspired, this is the film I reach for.

Now that I've started writing this though, I'm not sure I can put into words exactly why this is.

Maybe it's the time it came out.  I was 16 in 1999. I'd just left school and deciding what to do next. I must have identified with Julia Sitles' character Kat.


I remember I read The Bell Jar after seeing this. How predictable am I? Although the font in that book must be MASSIVE. It's a really short novel...
At that time I imagined myself to be pretty cool. I liked the right music and was interested in politics and liked to think I was well read and intelligent. I really wasn't, but the fact that I aspired to be helped me to become more that way. The desire to look like I knew some stuff forced me to go out and find out the stuff.



But that's the pretentious reason why I like the film.  The real reason, and the reason I revisit it so often is because it's funny.  It's got a clever script, a heart-warming ending and wonderfully charming and natural performances.

It was Heath Ledger's breakthrough role and it's really not surprising when you remember that he looked like this.


He was cheeky and realistic and very different to the typical Hollywood leading man and this makes the film even more charming.

JGL, David Krumholz and Larisa Oleynik are a perfect triad of cuteness, Krumholz providing some of the biggest laughs.
"There's a dick on my face isn't there?"


Oh, and also, ALISON JANNEY. Say no more.


Sorry I can't be more insightful. It's just great. Brilliant performances, a clever script, a lively soundtrack and interesting, likeable characters. It's just fun.




6 comments:

Lesya said...

It's very rewatchable and indeed funny. Great choice for the film to always go back to.

Andina said...

I love this movie too. Kat Stratford was my hero when I was in high school. Julia stiles managed to be anti-popular and very cool at the same time.

Dan said...

Looking back it's really easy to see Ledger's potential in this film. He doesn't exactly have an easy role but he really does a fine job of making his character feel real. Along with Brokeback Mountain and The Dark Knight I think of this as one of his defining roles.

Chitra Srikantan said...

Seriously too good of a movie.. :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really
nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on. Many thanks

Look at my web page; clear

divorce lawyers in new delhi said...

Hi, Really great effort. Everyone should read this article. Thanks for sharing.